Saturday 17 January 2009

Now Under New Management

Yes, rumours of this blog's death have been greatly exaggerated. On the other hand, I do rather feel as if Mary Whitehouse has been round, given that I've now been over the whole thing with a scrubbing brush. My attitudes and beliefs about my subject matter haven't changed much, but I really do hope that this way I'll be able to avoid deletion.

So, I've left Montague Summers and the Order of Chaeronea behind, not to mention Uncle Monty and his genteel Lake District sin bin. My new Internet ID is, er, myself, but with a touch of Orson Scott Card (whose books I am currently reading as a shield against some of the awfulness going on in the "real" world).

I do like the ending to 'The Selfish Giant' a lot, even if it was (bizarrely enough) used as a leitmotif for the gruesome Stephen Fry biopic of Wilde. I thought having it in the bar on the right might be a bit much, except that it does seem to fit the whole Ender mythos. The stupid giant and the kid who saves mankind are clearly both important Jungian archetypes. No great writer can ignore either of them for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment